Dr. Jan Curschmann
I am part of the LawCom.Institute because ...
... As a lawyer with years of experience I appreciate how important legal assurance and rule of law-based structures can be as location factors for any successfully operating economy. Corporate social responsibility, human rights and sustainability are becoming ever more important in today’s globally linked networking societies.
The main focus of my work at the LawCom.Institute is ADR - Alternative Dispute Resolution with functional responsibility for drafting expert opinions, advising on the establishment of ADR institutions and ADR rules, organising seminars and congresses.
I have years of experience in providing legal advice to globally operating companies. One main focus of my work is arbitration – as arbitrator and counsel. Since 2014 I have been Chair of the working group on international commercial law at the German Bar Association (DAV). In 2015 I co-initiated the ELArb Arbitration Center (Hamburg) and was involved in the drafting of its arbitration rules. I have represented the Federative Republic of Brazil as the country’s Honorary Consul in Hamburg since 2010.
- Since 2020
- Of-Counsel to law firm Taylor Wessing (previously Partner and member of the Disputes & Investigations Practice Group from 1985 to 2020).
- Awarded the Brazilian Decoration "Rio Branco" in the rank of "Comendador".
- Since 2017
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Latin America Association, Hamburg
- Since 2015
- Co-Initiator and Chairman of the Board of the ELArb European-Latin American Arbitration Association; Member of the Drafting Committee of the ELArb Arbitration Rules and Member of the Executive Committee of the ELArb Arbitration Centre
- Since 2014
- Chairman of the Working Group on International Commercial Law at the German Bar Association
- Since 2010
- Honorary Consul of the Federative Republic of Brazil with jurisdiction for Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein